Contact: Kimberly J. Evans
555 Wright Way
Carson City, Nevada 89711
Office: (775) 684-4554
Pager: (775) 861-5897
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE September 27, 1999
NEWS FROM: Compliance Enforcement Division 99-157
Compliance Enforcement Division to Police
Registration of Garage/Repair Shops
The Compliance Enforcement Division of the Department of Motor Vehicles & Public
Safety will begin stepped up enforcement of the registration requirement for garages and
repair shops mandated by the 1997 and 1999 Nevada Legislature. The legislation, which
includes Assembly Bill 258, takes steps towards addressing the overwhelming number of
consumer complaints about businesses that perform auto repair services.
The following sections explain the changes that affect the automobile repair industry,
effective October 1, 1999.
- Requires a business that repairs motor vehicles to display the Nevada Automobile Repair
Customers Bill of Rights on a sign of not less than 22" x 28".
- Requires that a person requesting or authorizing the repair of a motor vehicle that
exceeds $50 be furnished an estimate or statement signed by the person making the estimate
- Requires a garage person to notify a customer requesting the repair if additional
charges over 20% of the estimate are required.
- Allows a customer to waive the estimate if charges exceed the estimate.
- Requires a person who submits an application for new or renewed registration of a garage
to specify whether he agrees to submit binding arbitration any claims resulting from the
repair of a vehicle or post a $5,000 bond.
- States that a garage person who knowingly fails to register or renew his or her business
registration or file bond or agree to binding arbitration with the DMV&PS may not
enforce a lien or sue on any contract on repairs made during the time period in which he
was not registered.
Identified businesses who do not comply with this legislation may be subject to an
administrative fine up to $2500.00. For further information on this enforcement program,
contact Russ Benzler of the DMV & PS, Compliance Enforcement Division at 688-2440.