Public Information Office
Contact: Kimberly Evans
555 Wright Way
Carson City, Nevada 89711
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 22, 1998
NEWS FROM: State Fire Marshal 98-138
State Fire Marshal Provides Tips for a Safe Halloween
Fire officials urge parents and kids to play it safe
The Department of Motor Vehicles and Public Safety's Office of the State Fire Marshal
reminds parents and kids to play it safe this Halloween with the following suggestions:
- Make sure interior furnishings or decorations are not flammable or explosive.
- Do not reduce lighting below the minimum. This includes emergency lighting.
- No candles or open flame devises of any type should be used for any reason.
- Children should use battery operated devices for illumination (pumpkins), or when
walking from house to house.
- When decorating, be careful when using mirrors to create an illusion. Do not create
confusion as to exit locations.
- All exits should be kept clear and free from decorating items such as hay, corn stalks,
crepe paper or other hanging materials.
- Make sure costumes and clothing are made of flame resistant materials.
Finally, replace the batteries in your smoke detectors. A little precaution can go a
long way to ensure the safety of your family.