dmvlogo_r3.gif (10666 bytes) News Release

Contact: Kevin R. Malone
1399 American Pacific Dr.
Henderson, NV 89014
Office: (702) 486-1311
Pager: (702) 598-8926

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 29, 2000
NEWS FROM: State Fire Marshal 00-115

 

Irons Street Fire Ruled Accidental
Pahrump Man Perishes In Blaze Caused by Faulty Wiring

The Nevada State Fire Marshal's office has ruled a fatal fire Sunday night in Pahrump was accidental in origin. Deputy Fire Marshal Tony Capucci says the fire was the result of an overloaded electrical system. Foul play has been ruled out.

"The electrical system was so overloaded, it finally failed," said Capucci. "The main electrical panel suffered radiant heat in excess of eight hundred degrees, hot enough to melt the switch handles on the circuit breakers and preventing them from tripping out." Capucci explained the occupants of the house had improperly installed numerous extra circuits in the home and placed such a high load on the circuit that it overloaded the wires, which then ignited the walls of the structure.

The fire originated at approximately 9:30 p.m., Sunday, February 27th, in the wall on the northeast corner of the home at 1110 Irons Street in Pahrump. A 49-year-old man perished in the blaze. An autopsy performed by a Clark County medical examiner lists his official cause of death as smoke inhalation. The name of the victim will be released by the Nye County Sheriff's office once next of kin has been notified.

A substantial contributing factor in the blaze was the excessive fire loading and improper storage of highly combustible materials in the home. The occupants were storing large quantities of flammable materials such as kerosene, camping lantern fuel, small propane cylinders, ammunition and construction glues and adhesives.

###