Motorcycles, Mopeds & Bicycles


Motorcyclists and passengers In Nevada are required to wear helmets that meet standards set by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The only exceptions are for trimobiles and for mopeds 50 cc or under, with less than 2 horsepower and capable of no more than 30 mph.

Getting a Motorcycle Driver License Top ↑

Nevada transfers motorcycle endorsements and Class M licenses from most other states. If you are moving to Nevada and are currently licensed in the U.S., see our New Resident Guide.

Nevada issues a Class M driver license rather than an endorsement. Both your Class A, B or C and Class M are listed on one license. See License Classes.

Add Class M to Your Existing Nevada License

You may either complete an approved course or take the DMV motorcycle written and skills tests. Riders under 18 must also comply with all of the Nevada Teen Driving requirements on age, holding a permit, etc.

Take The Course

You do not have to take the DMV written and skills tests if you complete a course certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Many MSF courses in Nevada are sponsored by the state's Nevada Rider program. A motorcycle is provided and no instruction permit is necessary.

Carson City Western Nevada College (775) 445-4268
Las Vegas College of Southern Nevada (702) 651-4747
Reno Truckee Meadows Community College (775) 829-9010
Rural  Nevada Rider (800) 889-8779 or (775) 684-7480

See also the MSF course listings for more locations and for courses offered by dealerships and other organizations.

Upon completion, you may bring the Certificate of Completion (MSF card) and your existing Nevada license to a DMV office to have your new license issued. If you are under 18, you must have a parent or guardian sign the financial responsibility statement on the application in person at the DMV. The DMV will accept courses up to one year after completion.

Take The Tests

If you choose to take the knowledge (written) and skills (driving) tests, you should first apply in person and take the knowledge test at a DMV Full Service Office. A $26 testing fee will apply in addition to the licensing fee. Be sure to bring your existing Nevada license, ID card or proof of identity.

It is your choice whether to obtain a Motorcycle Instruction Permit. If you do not, you may not ride a motorcycle until you have completed the skills test. A licensed motorcycle operator will have to ride the cycle to the DMV for your skills test.

If you obtain an instruction permit, you may ride a motorcycle only under the direct visual supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator who is on a motorcycle, is at least 21 years old and has held a motorcycle license for at least one year. You may ride in daylight hours only. You may not carry passengers or drive on freeways or other high-speed roads.

You must pass the knowledge test before you schedule your skills test. Skills tests are administered by appointment. Larger offices also offer tests on a stand-by basis. Not all DMV locations offer all tests.

Please have your instruction permit number or social security number ready when you call or schedule online.

Online Scheduling
Las Vegas area (702) 486-4368
Reno/Sparks/Carson City (775) 684-4368
Elsewhere in Nevada (877) 368-7828

See Motorcycle Skills Test for a preview of the course and test requirements. Upon successful completion of the skills test, you will have your picture taken and your new license will be mailed to you.

Class M Restrictions

If you take the test on a motorcycle of less than 90cc, your license will be restricted to 90cc or less (Restriction U). If you take the test on a moped of less than 50cc, your license will be restricted to 50cc or less (Restriction Q). 

Registration Top ↑

Motorcycles are subject to the same registration requirements as other vehicles. You must have a properly signed-off title or Dealers Report of Sale and a Nevada Evidence of Insurance Card. If you purchased a motorcycle from a Nevada dealer, you may register it online without visiting a DMV office.

See Vehicle Registration Requirements. Motorcycles are exempt from emission inspections.

Motorcycle registrations are assessed an extra $6 fee to help fund Nevada Rider safety programs throughout the state. See the Nevada Rider website. Registration fees and governmental services taxes are calculated in the same manner as other vehicles.

"Motorcycle” means every motor vehicle equipped with a seat or a saddle for the use of the driver and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, including a power cycle but excluding a tractor and a moped. (NRS 486.041)

Off-Road to On-Road Motorcycle Conversions

An off-road motorcycle may be converted for use on Nevada public roads and highways if it meets the definition of an off-highway two wheeled motorcycle, is properly equipped and has been certified as safe to operate on Nevada public roads and highways by a Nevada licensed motorcycle dealer or Nevada registered motorcycle repair shop. See the following forms:

Click for PDF Help

Trimobiles Top ↑

TrimobileTrimobiles are three-wheeled vehicles powered by one or two wheels. (A motorcycle with a sidecar, however, remains a motorcycle.)

Registration and liability insurance are required.

A Class C or higher driver's license is required to drive a trimobile. A Class M driver's license is not required.

Helmets are not required. However, glasses, goggles or a face shield are required unless the trimobile is equipped with a windscreen that meets federal standards. (NRS 486.231)

Mopeds Top ↑

“Moped” means a motor-driven scooter, motor-driven cycle or similar vehicle that is propelled by a small engine which produces not more than 2 gross brake horsepower, has a displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimeters or produces not more than 1500 watts final output, and is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than 1 percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged.

NRS 482.069 - Moped Defined  |  NRS 482.210 - Exemptions from Registration

You must have a Class C or higher driver license to drive a moped on a public street. You do not need a Class M license. Mopeds do not require insurance or helmet use. If the moped produces more than 2 gross brake horsepower, or has a displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters (50 cc), or produces not more than 1500 watts final output, or is capable of exceeding thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on a flat grade, it is considered a motorcycle and you must have a Class M license, registration and insurance.

Mopeds must have almost all of the same safety equipment (lights, mirrors, etc.) as a motorcycle in order to be driven on any public street. Mopeds are not required to have turn signals (NRS 484D.130). See the Motorcycle Equipment Tip Sheet.

Other vehicles with a small engine are considered off-highway motor vehicles and may not be operated on public streets.

Moped - street legal

This moped has the proper safety equipment and may be driven on public streets if it is designated for on-highway use.

Moped - not street legal

This moped is not properly equipped. It is an off-highway vehicle and may not be driven on public streets. It may not be converted to on-highway use.

Moped Registration Begins in Late 2016

The 2015 Nevada Legislature passed Senate Bill 404 which requires a one-time registration of mopeds. License plates will be issued to owners. The DMV is planning to begin moped registration on November 1, 2016. The will give owners two months to register before the final effective date of January 1, 2017.

This legislation is intended to help combat theft. See the following links for details:

Senate Bill 404:  Bill Text (PDF)  |  Bill History

Moped dealers are required to add mopeds to any existing DMV business license or obtain a DMV license license if necessary. See Occupational and Business Licensing.

Moped Registration Application/Inspection (VP 30)  New!
Do not mail this form. The inspection must be completed by a DMV representative, Sheriff or Deputy Sheriff.

Off-Highway Vehicles Top ↑

See The Nevada Commission on Off-Highway Vehicles. Most OHVs 1976 and newer must be registered.

Off-highway Vehicles
OHVs may not be driven on public streets

Any motorized vehicle which does not have the normal safety equipment such as lights and mirrors or is not built to federal vehicle standards is an off-highway vehicle and is restricted to off-highway use only. This includes all-terrain vehicles, pocket bikes, motorized scooters and snowmobiles, but does not include converted two-wheeled motorcycles.

If a vehicle was manufactured and designated for “off-road” or “non-road” use only, it may not be driven on most Nevada public streets or highways even if it has safety equipment. The designation for off-highway use is usually indicated in ownership documents, the owners manual or by a U.S. DOT label attached to the frame of the vehicle.

There are no driver license or minimum age requirements for OHVs operated off-highway. City and county governments may designate small portions of public streets for access to or from off-road areas only and some age restrictions or other requirements may apply. Properly-registered and insured large ATVs may be driven on certain highways. See the OHV Commission for details.

Sharing the Road Top ↑


Motorcyclists have the same rights and the same responsibilities as other drivers. However, there are special situations and conditions we all need to be aware of so we can safely share the road with them.



When bicycles are ridden with other traffic, cyclists must obey the same rules and regulations as other types of vehicles. The safe interaction between bicyclists and motorists is the responsibility of both parties.

Motorists are not allowed to intentionally interfere with the movement of a person lawfully operating a bicycle; bicyclists may not intentionally interfere with the movement of a motor vehicle.

3 Feet for Bikes

Cyclists Should:

  • Obey the law.
  • Wear a helmet.
  • Wear brightly colored clothing.
  • Keep bikes in good repair.

Cyclists Should Not:

  • Ride on the wrong side of the road.
  • Wear a headset when riding.
  • Ride at night without required lights and reflectors.

Bicycles ridden at night must have:

  • A white lamp in the front visible from at least 500 feet away.
  • A red tail reflector visible in a vehicle’s low beams from 300 feet away.
  • Reflective material on the sides of the bike visible in low beams from at least 600 feet away or a lamp visible from both sides from 500 feet away.