Military Licensing
Nevada Residents Stationed in Other States

Please keep your address current with the DMV as you move. You may change your address by fax or mail. Include a copy of your LES if your physical address is outside of Nevada. See Address Changes.

Nevada residents who are stationed in Nevada are subject to the same licensing and vehicle registration requirements as non-military. See Driver License or Vehicle Registration.

Home Safe. Drive Safe. Stay Safe.

Veteran Safe Driving

The VA has developed a wealth of information intended to help returning veterans drive safely.

The Veterans' Safe Driving Initiative includes advice on child seat safety, driving with medical conditions and motorcycle safety.

See also the Nevada Green Zone Network for help with benefits and employment.

Veteran Designation

Honorably-discharged veterans may have a Veteran designation placed on their license. Present your evidence of honorable discharge at any DMV office. Visit to obtain a copy of your DD-214 or other evidence of honorable discharge.

If you are obtaining the designation only, the fee is $9.25 for a non-commercial license or ID card or $13.25 for a commercial license. There is no additional fee if you are renewing your license or completing another license transaction. If you are mailing a license renewal, you may mail a copy of the honorable discharge document.

Driver License Renewals Top ↑

Driver licenses must be renewed prior to expiration. Nevada does not grant automatic extensions to military members, spouses or dependents. However, active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces, federal employees and their spouses and dependents may renew by mail continually.

We suggest that, if possible, you renew your driver license in person at a DMV office while you are in Nevada. You may renew at any time. You do not have to wait for the expiration date to approach. You may renew at any DMV office regardless of your city or county of residence.

If you have received a renewal application with an access code, we encourage you to create a MyDMV account and renew by Internet. If you have not received a notice, or if you received a post card notice with no access code, you may renew by mail if you meet all of these qualifications:

To apply, please Contact Us.

Recently-discharged military members, members on normal Reserve duty, employees of federal contractors or spouses and dependents of any of these must follow the normal renewal requirements. See Driver License Renewal Options.

Driver License Duplicates Top ↑

Any Nevada-licensed driver who is temporarily out of the state may obtain a duplicate driver license by mail. If your application is accepted, DMV will mail a new license to you if we have a valid photograph on file. We will notify you of the reason if your application is rejected.

You may order a duplicate online if we have your correct current address. You may change your address and order a duplicate with a MyDMV account. Please Contact Us if you don't the information needed to sign up for MyDMV.

Original Nevada License Top ↑

Application requirements for an original Nevada driver license are no different for military members than for non-military. You must visit a DMV Office to obtain an original license. See:

Any person on active duty in the Armed Forces who has a valid license issued in a foreign country by the U.S. Armed Forces may drive a motor vehicle for a period of not more than 45 days from the date of return to the United States.

Vehicle Registration Top ↑

Nevada residents on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces may maintain a Nevada vehicle registration while stationed in other states. However, you are not entitled to tax relief under the Service Member's Civil Relief Act of 2003. You may be entitled to a Veterans Exemption. Contact your Nevada County Assessor.

If your registration renewal requires an emission inspection and you cannot have it completed in Nevada, see Renewal Options. You must have a smog check completed if you are currently residing in an area that requires emission inspections or submit an affidavit if testing is not required in your location. You may wish to consider renewing early when you are in Nevada.

The DMV will waive registration late fees for active duty military members assigned to combat or combat support positions. Use the Active Duty Military Combat Affidavit (VP 258) when you renew your registration. This form must be submitted at the time of renewal. You may renew by mail if the form is notarized or you may sign it and renew in person at a DMV office.

If you wish to obtain an original registration or transfer an existing Nevada registration and plates to another vehicle, please email the Vehicle Identification Number and other specifics such as where and how the vehicle was purchased, sales price and any sales taxes paid. We will return an estimate of fees and instructions on how to complete the registration. We may ask you to include one or more of the following forms:

Importing Vehicles Top ↑

Vehicles purchased overseas through the Armed Forces and titled with a Form AE 190-1A do not require shipping papers or DOT or EPA releases as long as they are built to U.S. safety and emissions standards.

The Form AE 190-1A may be substituted for a state-issued title and registration. Other registration requirements are the same as those for New Residents.

Vehicles purchased outside of the Armed Forces system and not built to U.S. standards are considered "gray market" vehicles and may require clearances from the US DOT and US EPA. See Section IV of our Registration and Title Guide and email us before importing a vehicle. You may also wish to contact our Emissions Lab if the vehicle will be based in Las Vegas or Reno.