The Motor Carrier Team keeps you truckin'!! Tell us how to improve our services. Send a comment, fill out our survey or call.
Motor Carrier or Fuel comments only. For other DMV issues or comments, please contact the DMV.
Iowa Fuel Tax Rates
Iowa has had an IFTA tax rate increase beginning March 1, 2015. See the Notice of Iowa Split Rates for filing instructions if you traveled in Iowa during the first quarter.
Permanent Trailer Plates
Beginning January 1, 2015, a permanent plate and registration will be available for full and semi-trailers that are part of a fleet and registered through the Motor Carrier Division. The one-time fee for a permanent plate/registration is $110 plus a $3.50 plate fee. The permanent registration is valid for as long as the company or person owns the trailer.
Qualifications to obtain a permanent trailer registration:
- Permanent trailer plates will only be issued through the Motor Carrier Division.
- The trailer must be either a full or semitrailer.
- The trailer must be used for commercial purposes.
- The registered owner of the trailer must have a Federal Employee Identification Number.
- The trailer must be titled and registered in the business name.
- Full trailers must be pulled by a drawbar rather than a fifth wheel coupling or ball and hitch.
Existing plates can be switched. See the Permanent Trailer Plate Notification or contact us for details.
The Department now issues “FARM” plates to certain farm equipment and implements of husbandry. Please see the application and instructions below in order for the Department to process your request.
- Application For Farm Tractor/Self Propelled Implement Of Husbandry License Plate And Decal and Schedule B (MC 101 & MC 003)
Clark County Fuel Tax Indexing Forms
Reimbursement Request for Special Fuel Purchased in Clark County (MC413 - XLS)
All commercial driver's license transactions in the Reno area must be completed at the Greg St. CDL office.
In the Las Vegas area, we will no longer process CDL transactions in the full service offices effective Monday, May 4, 2015. All CDL’s will be required to go to the Donovan CDL office and the Donovan office will process CDL transactions only.
Temporary Trip Permit Requirements
Out of state commercial vehicles with a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 pounds or more are required to get a temporary registration permit. Carriers are required to get permits before entering Nevada.
- Permits - a list of vendors and general information.
- Tip Sheet - single page Q&A
- AB 372 Notice and FAQs - formal notice and detailed requirements
Out of state commercial vehicles 10,000 pounds and under used in business in Nevada are required to obtain a Non-Resident Business Permit within 10 days of commencing operations. See Movement Permits.
Potential Fuel Tax Evasion Report
Do your part to make sure everyone pays their fair share! Report potential fuel tax evasion online. Or, call the Motor Carrier Audit Team at (775) 684-4634.
If you operate any truck or bus in interstate commerce, you must register with the federal Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program. Nevada is a non-participating state and does not offer this service. However, Nevada-based carriers must comply with UCR. You must register with a participating state. Online registration is available at www.ucr.in.gov or see UCR Contacts.
SilverFlume, an online service from the Nevada Secretary of State, enables businesses to set up a profile with the basic information that nearly every governmental agency in Nevada requires. You can sign in with your existing Secretary of State online account. Manage your business more efficiently by creating a Silverflume profile.
Quick Info and Contacts
- Nevada has no Ports of Entry. See Permits for permit information.
- Maximum Cab Card Weight 80,000 pounds
- Carriers operating in excess of 80,000 pounds must must obtain all necessary permits before entering the state.
- Some rural DMV offices issue Single Trip Fuel permits. Call (775) 684-4711 for locations.
- For route restrictions and current road conditions, visit Nevada DOT.
- Nevada CDL Handbooks, IRP & IFTA forms are available in our Motor Carrier Forms Room.
- NDOT publishes a comprehensive Commercial Vehicle Handbook.
- General visitor information is available from the Nevada Commission on Tourism.
- Information on establishing a business in Nevada is available from the Nevada Governor's Office of Economic Development.
The Nevada Department of Transportation website is your best source for current permit information on all oversized and overweight vehicles including the latest route conditions, prohibitions and restrictions. See also Permits.
Motor Carrier Laws
|Chapter Number and Title||Statutes||Code|
|360a||Administration of Certain Taxes and Fees on Fuels||NRS||--|
|365||Taxes on Certain Fuels for Motor Vehicles and Aircraft||NRS||NAC|
|366||Tax on Special Fuels||NRS||NAC|
|371||Governmental Services Tax on Vehicle Registrations||NRS||--|
|373||County Taxes on Fuels||NRS||--|
|482||Non-Apportioned Vehicle Registration||NRS||NAC|
|484||Traffic Laws (replaced by Chapters 484A - 484E below)||NRS||NAC|
|484A||Traffic Laws Generally||NRS||--|
|484B||Rules of the Road||NRS||--|
|484C||Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or a Prohibited Substance||NRS||--|
|484D||Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles||NRS||--|
|484E||Accidents and Reports of Accidents||NRS||--|
|485||Insurance and Financial Responsibility||NRS||NAC|
|590||Petroleum Products and Antifreeze||NRS||NAC|
|706||Motor Carrier/Apportioned Registration||NRS||NAC|
|Title 49||Federal Laws and Regulations - Transportation||USC||CFR|