If you have purchased a vehicle from a participating Nevada dealer, you may be able to complete the registration online without a trip to the DMV! You can transfer your current license plates or get new standard plates through the mail. It’s quick, easy, and best of all, no lines!
Sorry, but you must visit a DMV Full Service Office to register your new vehicle if you did not purchase it from a participating dealer or if it is a motor home or a trailer.
See Private Party Sales, Nevada Dealers, Out-of-State Dealers or our New Resident Guide. See Motor Carrier for apportioned registration and vehicles over 26,000 pounds.
Get Started with Online Registration
How It Works
Participating dealers submit their sales information to the DMV online and issue what is called an Electronic Dealer Report of Sale (EDRS). Use the control number and last 4 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number to register online.
There are two styles of the EDRS that can be used to register your vehicle online.
Most Nevada dealers issue a green form with a stamped red control number. If your green DRS form is marked "EDRS", you can complete your registration online.
Many dealers issue the EDRS on plain paper as shown here. The plain paper form will be mandatory as of July 1, 2014.
Getting It Done
- Have your DRS and Nevada Evidence of Insurance card ready and go to MyDMV. Register for your account if you don't already have one. You may pay registration fees by e-check, debit or credit card.
- If you are obtaining new plates or have moved recently, check your address listings under "Records" in MyDMV and complete a Change of Address if needed.
- If you are transferring plates, any credit on your existing registration will be applied to the new registration.
- You may transfer plates up to 18 months after they have expired.
- Your vehicle will be registered immediately upon successful completion. If transferring plates, the registration on your old vehicle is immediately surrendered.
- A temporary permit prints with your receipt. Tape this in the lower right-hand corner of the windshield and keep the receipt in the vehicle.
- Your Registration Certificate and Validation Decal will arrive at the address listed on the DRS in four to seven days.
- If you are receiving new plates, they will arrive separately in seven to 10 days.
Some additional restrictions apply. Motor homes and trailers cannot be registered online. Vehicles 26,000 pounds and over are registered through the Motor Carrier Division. Certain license plate styles such as Professional Firefighter and antique/classic vehicles cannot be transferred. See the complete list below.
You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. Coverage is verified electronically with your insurance company. Motorists who do not maintain Nevada liability insurance are subject to a registration suspension and reinstatement fees and fines. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. See Vehicle Insurance Requirements. You must present a Nevada Evidence of Insurance card at registration and carry one in your vehicle at all times.
Non-Transferable Plate Styles
- Antique Truck/Tractor
- Amateur Radio
- Classic Rod
- Classic Vehicle
- Consular Corps
- Exempt Vehicle
- Exempt Motorcycle
- Fire Truck
- Horseless Carriage
- Manufactured Housing
- Motor Carrier
- Old Timer
- Old Timer Motorcycle
- Professional Firefighter
- Street Rod
- Motorcycle license plates can only be transferred to another motorcycle. These plates cannot be transferred to another vehicle type using the online registration feature.
The dealers that issue green EDRS documents are listed here. The DMV implemented a new online EDRS system in March, 2013 that allows many more dealers to join. These dealers issue white documents and are not listed here.
Please use the examples above as a guide in whether you may register your vehicle online.
Las Vegas Area
- Audi Las Vegas
- BMW of Henderson
- BMW of Las Vegas
- Autonation Buick GMC West Sahara
- Autonation Buick GMC Henderson
- Autonation Honda East Las Vegas
- Mini of Las Vegas
- Autonation Nissan Las Vegas
- Autonation Toyota Scion Las Vegas
- Autonation Volkswagen Las Vegas
- Findlay Chevrolet
- Findlay Honda
- Findlay Honda Henderson
- Findlay Kia
- Ford Country
- Land Rover Las Vegas
- Prestige Chrysler Jeep Dodge
- Subaru of Las Vegas
- Towbin Dodge
- Towbin Motor Cars
- Acura of Reno
- Bill Pierce Courtesy Honda
- Bill Pierce Motors
- Carson City Toyota Scion
- Internet Auto Rent and Sales
- Jones West Ford
- Dolan Lexus
- Mercedes Benz of Reno
- Nissan of Reno
- Reno Auto Center
- Reno Buick GMC Cadillac
- Reno Dodge Sales Inc
- Dolan Toyota Scion
- Tom Dolans Reno Mazda Kia
Dealers: Use of the DMV's online EDRS system (white forms) will be mandatory as of July 1, 2014. Contact Occupational and Business Licensing for details.