DMV Dashpass Learn More About Dash Pass Learn More About Dash Pass

Driver Authorization Cards

Driver Authorization CardNevada residents who cannot meet the proof of identity requirements for a standard driver's license or ID card may be able to obtain a Driver Authorization Card (DAC).

These cards authorize the holder to drive a motor vehicle on Nevada public streets and highways. A DAC is not valid as identification to obtain any state benefits, licenses or services or for federal purposes such as boarding aircraft or entering facilities where ID is required.

Driver Authorization Cards are valid for one year from the date of issuance. You may renew the card each year. All renewals and address changes must be completed in person. You may apply for a duplicate DAC online or in person at the DMV.

Documents You Will Need

To apply for a Driver Authorization Card, you must meet the requirements in three areas:

All documents must be originals. We do not accept photocopies. Documents with an expiration date must be valid and unexpired.

Proof of Identity

You may provide any of the documents required for a standard license,

OR one of the following documents:

  • U.S. Military Identification Card
  • U.S. Military Dependent Identification Card
  • DD Form 214 – "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty"
  • U.S. Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood

OR two of the following documents:

  • A driver’s license or identification card issued by another state, the District of Columbia, or any territory of the United States
  • A driver authorization card issued by another state, the District of Columbia, or any other territory of the United States
  • A passport issued by a foreign government
  • A birth certificate issued by a foreign government
  • A consular identification card
  • Any document issued by a foreign government that the Department determines is substantially similar to a consular identification card

Any document in a foreign language must be properly translated to English by a DMV-approved translator before it can be accepted. Translated documents must include all of the following. No abstract translations will be accepted.

  • A typed or electronically-printed full and complete translation of the entire document
  • Date the translation was completed
  • DMV-approved Translator Number issued by the Nevada DMV
  • Translator’s printed name and signature
  • The following typed or electronically printed statement:

I, [insert translator’s full legal name], certify that the foregoing is a complete and accurate translation from [insert foreign language] to the English language to the best of my ability. I further certify that I am fully competent to translate from [insert foreign language] into the English language and that I am proficient in both languages.

DMV-approved Translator Number__________________

See DMV Approved Translators to locate a translator in your area.

Proof of Residency Status

You must provide original or certified copies of two of the following:

  • A receipt from the rent or lease of a residence
  • A lease of a residence on which the applicant appears as the lessee during a lease term which includes the previous 60 days
  • A record from a public utility which is dated within the previous 60 days
  • A bank or credit card statement dated within the previous 60 days
  • A stub from an employment check indicating a residential address
  • A document from a state or federal court which is dated within the previous 60 days
  • A document issued by an insurance company or its agent, including, without limitation, an insurance card, binder or bill
  • A record, receipt or bill from a medical provider
  • Tax records for the individual which show a physical residence
  • A statement or bill requesting payment
  • A record of property taxes assessed or paid in this state
  • A deed of trust or other documentation of a mortgage
  • Enrollment records or an identification card from an educational institution in this state
  • A receipt from a hotel, motel, recreational vehicle park or campground located in this State indicating not fewer than 30 days of consecutive residency in this state
  • A voter registration card issued by the county clerk or county registrar of voters
  • Documentation of receipt of public assistance from this state
  • A military Leave and Earnings Statement indicating Nevada residency when deployed out of state
  • Notarized statement from the owner of a residence indicating that the applicant physically resides at the residence
  • Documentation indicating that the applicant is enrolled in the Nevada Confidential Address Program (NRS 217.462 to 217.471)
  • Department-approved form for Nevada residency (DMV 005)

How to Apply

Driver Authorization Cards are issued under the same procedures as standard licenses. All of the same rules, regulations and fees apply.

Click for PDF Help

You must apply in person at a DMV office and bring the required documents. The exact procedures depend on your age and current licensing status. Visit one of the following pages:

Residents of U.S. territories must take vision, knowledge and skills tests as outlined under Beginning or Teen Drivers. Cards are not issued to visitors or out-of-state students.


All applicants take a vision test at the DMV. Applicants who are not currently licensed in the U.S. must take written and driving tests. The written test is given at the time you apply. We do not make appointments.

You may make an appointment for a driving test only after you have passed the written test. Set your appointment before you leave the DMV office. You may also schedule it online.


Private driving schools and instructors must be licensed by the DMV and meet minimum educational standards. See Professional Driving Schools for licensed schools in your area.

Licensing requirements are listed under Occupational and Business Licensing. Unlicensed schools may be reported to the DMV Compliance Enforcement Division.


Knowledge (Written) Test

An applicant who has a lack of English or Spanish language skills may use an interpreter during a written examination for a driver’s license, driver authorization card or instruction permit.

Interpreters must attest that they are approved by a governmental agency, court, educational institution, or non-profit advocacy group by presenting a letter from the approving agency and completing an "Affidavit of Oath for Interpreters" form at the DMV office. Self-certification as a DMV translator does not qualify.

The applicant must bear any cost of the interpreter’s services. Interpreters may not provide services for family members.

Skills (Drive) Test

The Department does not allow interpreters to be present during any drive test.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost?

Driver Authorization Cards will cost $22.25 plus an additional $25 testing fee if tests are required. Retests are $10 each.

DACs are valid for one year from the date of issuance. You must renew in person in at a DMV office and pay the $22.25 fee each year.

Do I have to take tests?

All applicants take a vision test. A written and drive test will be required if you have never been licensed in the U.S. Tests may be waived if you hold a current U.S. driver's license. See Testing.

I lost my DAC. How do I get a duplicate?

You may apply in person at a DMV office. If you have a valid social security number on file, you may order a duplicate online. The fee is $17.25.

How long will DACs be issued? Is there any deadline or time limit?

Driver Authorization Cards will be issued indefinitely. There is no cut off date. The DMV encourages applicants to ensure they have all necessary documents and to prepare for the tests before visiting a DMV office.

How are DACs different from other licenses in appearance?

There are only two differences between a DAC and a standard Nevada license. A DAC will state "Not Valid for Identification" in the top portion. The blue banner will state "Driver Authorization Card" rather than "Driver License." The appearance is otherwise identical.

Can I drive in another state with my DAC?

Check with the Highway Patrol or other law enforcement agency in each area where you will drive. The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators has ruled that the DAC driving privilege should be valid in other states under national compacts and reciprocal agreements. However, each state or jurisdiction may set its own policies. Please check with law enforcement before you travel.

I hold a license or ID card in another state. Do I have to surrender it?

Yes. Nevada law requires residents of this state to surrender any out-of-state license or ID card in order to obtain a Nevada license or DAC. We will stamp "VOID" on the card and return it to you to use until your new DAC arrives in the mail.

Can I drive commercial vehicles using a DAC or obtain an equivalent commercial license?

No. Commercial drivers must meet the proof of identity requirements for a standard license and comply with federal commercial licensing laws. See Commercial Licensing.

I have unpaid traffic tickets or a license suspension or revocation. Can I get a DAC?

If you have a license suspension or revocation in Nevada or any other U.S. state, you will not be able to obtain a DAC until the suspension or revocation is cleared.

All driver's license laws pertaining to demerit points, suspensions, revocations, insurance company reporting, etc., apply to DACs. See License Suspensions & Revocations and Demerit Point System.

Demerit points, suspensions, revocations and other driving information on your DAC will be reported to other states in the same manner as a standard license.

Will my information be turned over to federal immigration authorities?

No. The law (Senate Bill 303) specifically prohibits this:

The Director shall not release any information relating to legal presence or any other information relating to or describing immigration status, nationality or citizenship from a file or record relating to a request for or the issuance of a license, identification card or title or registration of a vehicle to any person or to any federal, state or local governmental entity for any purpose relating to the enforcement of immigration laws.

Can I use the DAC to cash my check, purchase alcohol, or as ID for notarized documents?

Private businesses have the right to accept or deny the DAC. The DMV will accept the DAC as identification for Nevada DMV forms where signatures must be witnessed.

Nevada law (Senate Bill 303) specifies DACS are not accepted as proof of identity for any state services:

A driver authorization card shall not be used to determine eligibility for any benefits, licenses or services issued or provided by this State or its political subdivisions.

DACs are also not accepted for federal purposes such as boarding aircraft or entering a federal building where identification is required.

Can U.S. citizens or immigrants with U.S. issued documents apply for a DAC?

Yes. This may be desirable if the person does not have the documents required for a standard license but wishes to drive while obtaining them.

See Residency and Proof of Identity if you are a U.S. citizen or an immigrant with U.S. issued immigration documents.

Safe Driving

Safety Seat Check Child Safety Seat
Use Your Safety Seat Correctly  English  |  Spanish

Driver Handbooks

English | Spanish | Motorcycle

Buckle Up!

Tip Sheets:  English  |  Spanish


Organ Donation

Organ Donor Logo

Give the Gift of Life! One donor can save up to 8 lives and heal more than 50 people.

You have the option of becoming an Organ Donor and having this listed on your driver authorization card. You may become a donor or remove the designation when the card is first issued, upon renewal or upon a change of address.

Transplant Network (Northern Nevada)

Nevada Donor Network (Southern Nevada)

Done Vida (Spanish)

DAC Laws and Regulations

The 2013 Nevada Legislature enabled Driver Authorization Cards under Senate Bill 303.